NEW YORK: A federal judge on Sunday (Aug 23) ordered a stay in President Donald Trumps re-election campaigns lawsuit seeking to ban drop boxes and other changes to Pennsylvanias mail-balloting procedures.
The Nov. 3 election promises to be the nations largest test of voting by mail and the two major parties are locked in numerous lawsuits that will shape how millions of Americans vote this autumn.
The Republican president has repeatedly and without evidence said that an increase in mail-in ballots would lead to a surge in fraud, although Americans have long voted by mail.
There is perhaps no more consequential lawsuit than the one in Pennsylvania, which Trump won by less than 1 percentage point in 2016 and is considered essential to his re-election effort.
The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
J. Nicholas Ranjan, U.S district judge for western Pennsylvania, said the federal case brought by the Trump campaign would not move forward until similar lawsuits in state courts finish or unless they are delayed.
The Trump campaign is seeking to ban ballot drop boxes, which were deployed in the states most recent primary and that allow voters to submit absentee ballots and bypass the U.S. Postal Service.
The Trump campaign argues the drop boxes were not explicitly authorized in a bipartisan bill passed by the state legislature last year that expanded the states mail balloting procedures.
The suit also wants the residency requirement for poll watchers lifted, so that any Pennsylvania voter could serve in that function atRead More – Source