Man in 20s Youngest Australian COVID Death as Concern Grows of Mystery Cases

A Victorian man in his 20s has become the youngest person to have died in Australia due to COVID-19, the disease caused by the CCP virus.

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews on Aug. 14 at the daily COVID-19 update said the mans death was a “terrible tragedy.”

Epoch Times Photo
Epoch Times Photo
Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews looks on during the media at the daily briefing on August 03, 2020 in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is under stage 4 lockdown. (Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

Andrews said there may be a further inquest to the circumstances of the young mans death.

“It may well be that the coroner will look at that matter, and determine the circumstances of that,” Andrews said.

This may help determine whether he died with COVID-19 or whether COVID-19 contributed his death.

The mans death was among 14 others—all elderly people over 80 years of age—bringing the states toll to 289.

“Twelve of the 14 fatalities are linked to aged care outbreaks,” Andrews said.

Previously the youngest COVID-19 deaths in Australia were two men in their 30s who were also from Victoria. The youngest female deaths were four women in their 50s.

In August there have been 167 deaths reported as being due to COVID-19 in Australia, only two have been recorded in New South Wales, all the others were from Victoria.

Concerns Over Increased Virus Cases of Unknown Source

“Mystery cases” continue to be of concern in Victoria. Andrews revealed at the press conference there were another 51 mystery cases bringing the total to 3,109—which is 19 percent of all cases.

A significant proportion of these are 20 to 29-year-olds; cases of elderly people are typically from known outbreaks such as aged care homes.

Victorias 2600 contact tracers have been unable to determine the source of one in five virus cases since March.

It has been said the contact tracing system is stretched, leading to delays and mistakes, creating conditions where unsuspecting Victorians could spread the virus.

On Aug. 12 Premier Andrews was defensive about claims that his health departments contact tracing system is stretched, and deflected questions on frequently reported delays and mistakes by contact tracers.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton noted there are several reasons why contact tracers have been unsuccessful after conducting inquiries.

“Thatll be for a number of reasons they just simply dont have anyone else in their household whos been unwell, they cant identify anyone in their workplace whos been unwell, and the places that they nominate dont have existing cases. And so we cant determine absolutely where theyve got it from,” Sutton said.

In regional Victoria, under stage three restrictions, health authorities have noticed some “worrying trends” of increasing mystery cases, in particular the areas of Ballarat, Bendigo, and Geelong. According to Sutton, 13 percent of COVID-19 cases in regional Victoria are mystery cases.

The Mayor of Bendigo, Margaret ORourke, has called for more information on where viruRead More – Source