A former cyber-security adviser to the federal government has hit out at those behind the cyber-attacks on Australia, describing it as “abhorrent” behaviour but wouldnt go as far as naming the likely culprit.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison last week confirmed Australia has been the target of increased cyber-attacks by a foreign entity, describing it as a “sophisticated, state-based cyber actor.”
Former National Cyber Security adviser Alistair MacGibbon says that the purpose of the attacks was more than likely for strategy purposes and to steal Australias intellectual property.
“Of all the things during a COVID-19 world to steal the intellectual property of nations in order to advance your own industries I think is abhorrent and certainly not good global citizenship,” MacGibbon told Sky News Sunday Agenda program.
“This is an affront to our sovereignty.”
However, like the Morrison, he declined to say who he thought was behind the attacks.
CCP Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang has attempted to deflect attention that the Chinese regimes likely involvement behind the cyber-attacks by rubbishing the reputation of ASPI. Shuang accused their findings of being “totally baseless and nonsense.”
But the Australian Strategic Policy Institute is standRead More – Source