HONG KONG—Hong Kong on May 19 extended a restriction on public gatherings for at least another two weeks as authorities still report new CCP virus cases occasionally, in a move that threatens the citys annual vigil to commemorate the Tiananmen crackdown.
Every year on June 4 in Hong Kong, tens of thousands join a candlelight vigil in the biggest commemoration of the 1989 crackdown in which Chinese troops opened fire on student-led democracy protesters in and around Beijings Tiananmen Square.
The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, organizer of the event, said it will hold a meeting on Tuesday night to decide on its plans.
The government will maintain a limit on public group gatherings to eight people expiring at the end of Thursday for an extra two weeks. Bathhouses, karaoke bars, and night clubs will stay closed for an additional week from Thursday.
Religious gatherings will resume with certain safety rules. Bars, cinemas, and gyms re-opened earlier this month.
“We only have public health in mind and not other considerations,” Health Secretary Sophia Chan said in a news conference, echoing past remarks by Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam.
The number of CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus cases in Hong Kong has been dwindling, but on May 13 the city reported its first case in more than three weeks nRead More – Source