The classic Polly Waffle chocolate bar is set to return to Australian supermarkets after receiving a government funding boost in the wake of the CCP virus outbreak.
The Morrison government will provide $1 million (US$656,000) to South Australian confectionery company Robern Menz, who also revived the Violet Crumble chocolate bar last year.
Over a decade after being pulled from shelves, the once-famous log of gooey and crunchy candy will be brought back to life in early 2021.
This is part of the Australian governments $215 million cash splash to create new jobs and bring manufacturing home amid the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus pandemic, commonly known as novel coronavirus.
Industry Minister Karen Andrews told Channel 7s Sunrise on April 30 that funding will go towards building a new production line to produce the Polly Waffle, and in the process create 38 ongoing jobs.
“Its a big win for South Australia, for Australia and its part of a broader program—the Manufacturing Modernisation Fund—that were rolling out the announcement today,” she said.
Aussie manufacturers will be a big part of our nations post #COVID19 recovery. Thats why as a Government were backing 200 projects worth $215 million through our Manufacturing Modernisation Fund. These projects are expected to create more than 2,600 new jobs around Australia. pic.twitter.com/LDOWvAxeea
— Karen Andrews MP (@karenandrewsmp) April 30, 2020
Andrews said the public funding injection couldnt come at a better time.
“As we face the coronavirus pandemic and look to come out the other side stronger, this investment will be more critical than ever,” she said.