China foreign minister slams ‘unacceptable’ violence in Hong Kong

PARIS: China's foreign minister on Monday (Oct 21) denounced the "unacceptable" violence by protesters in Hong Kong, saying they had been encouraged by "foreign forces".

"What is happening in Hong Kong today are in no way peaceful protests," Wang Yi said in an interview with AFP in Paris.

Advertisement

Advertisement

"It's violence pure and simple. These are unacceptable acts in any country," he added, accusing the protesters of attacking police and passers-by and paralysing transport.

READ: Police say suspected bombs found during weekend protests in Hong Kong

Hong Kong has been riven by increasingly violent protests for more almost five months, with demonstrators demanding greater democracy and police accountability as violence spirals on all sides.

Riot police detain a demonstrator in Hong Kong. (AFP/Anthony WALLACE)

Advertisement

Advertisement

China runs Hong Kong under a special "one country, two systems" model that grants the international hub certain liberties but ensures the city's leadership ultimately answers to Beijing.

"There are foreign forces which are encouraging this sort of violence in the streets with the aim of destabilising Hong Kong, sowing chaos … to wipe out the historic progress made since the one-country-two-systems policy was applied," said Wang.

Such action will never succeed," he added, insisting that the Hong Kong government would be able to re-establish "social order and respect for the rule of law".

With "support from Beijing, Hong Kong will continue to apply the one-country-two-systems formula", Wang stressed.

Wang also took aim at foreign media, complaining that some of theRead More – Source