Casualty has been doing an excellent, important job in giving a compassionate, balanced view of mental health issues and this continues tonight as Iain (the brilliant Michael Stevenson) deals with two patients who make him reflect on his own problems. With Dixie (Jane Hazlegrove) still around hes considering his future in the ED and wondering whether a move to HEMS might be a fresh start for him. He thinks his mind is made up – but is it really?
Elsewhere, Mason (Victor Oshin) again proves to be a thorn in Rash (Neet Mohan)s side, but on a particularly difficult day for Rash will Mason finally prove he can be trusted? Here are all the spoilers to look out for.
1. Rash isnt having the best day – hes missing Gem, his father keeps calling him with little problems and worries, and to top it off he has to work with Mason. Theres no love lost between the two doctors since Mason won Rashs bike in a bet, and Mason takes every opportunity to taunt Rash.
2. Iain shocks Ruby (Maddy Hill) and Jan (Di Botcher) by making an announcement: hes leaving! His colleagues are concerned that its too soon – but are they right to be worried about him?
3. Effie (Abigail Hardingham) comes to Holby for a screening interview to see if shes suitable for the CF trial. Ethan (George Rainsford) also has to be interviewed as the person who referred her, but this means lying about her condition when she was last admitted to hospital. Will he put his career on the line by lying to help Effie?
4. Dixie and Iain are called to a patient Iain has met before. When events take a heartbreaking turn, will Iain be able to handle his feelings or will he shut his friends and colleagues out again?
5. Patients this week include a woman whos working in a high-pressure packing warehouse despite having terrible pain, and a woman who gets her foot trapped under a piano. In true Casualty style, neither of these cases turns out to be straightforward.
6. When Rash and Mason make a terrible mistake, can Rash rely on his junior colleagues support – or is he about to get thrown under the bus again?