Girl, 10, Dies After Contracting Brain-Eating Parasite While Swimming In River

Girl parasite death#Lilystrong/Facebook

A 10-year-old girl has died after contracting a brain-eating parasite while swimming in a river near her home in Texas.

Lily Avant, from Whitney, died nearly one week after doctors confirmed she had contracted Naegleria fowleri, commonly referred to as the brain-eating amoeba.

The young girl was put in a medically-induced coma while doctors treated swelling in her brain, after she came down with a fever before becoming incoherent and unresponsive.

Girl dies parasite#Lilystrong/Facebook

Lily swam in both the Brazos River and Lake Whitney over the Labor Day weekend at the beginning of September, before complaining of a headache and coming down with a fever the following weekend on September 8, KWTX-TV reports.

Her health quickly deteriorated, and the 10-year-old was first taken to a local hospital before being transferred to Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth. Tragically, doctors could not save her.

In a statement, her family said:

Our beautiful girl is completely healed and in the arms of Jesus. Lily changed lives. Lily saved lives (in the physical and spiritual sense). She brought unity to a divided nation. Which, is just like her!

She loved everyone she came in contact with, and we see you all felt that, via news reports or social media. She taught us so much more in her ten years than we ever taught her.

Girl dies parasite#Lilystrong/Facebook

The cousin of the young girls mother, Wendy Scott, told NBC 5 Lily had been taken to a doctor on the night of September 8, when she developed a fever. However, Scott said it was assumed the young girl just had a virus because there were several going around her school, and she was sent home.

Just a couple of days later, on the Tuesday (September 10), Lily woke up unresponsive. She was eyes open, she was there, but she wasnt speaking. Nothing, Scott explained. A spinal tap at Cook Childrens Medical Center confirmed the 10-year-old had contracted Naegleria fowleri.

As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Naegleria fowleri, which is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs, is known to cause a rare infection of the bRead More – Source