The films plot revolves around a visit from the royal family in 1927, which throws the Crawley family into disarray and sees them come face-to-face with King George V and Queen Mary.
Downton wouldnt be half as good without Dame Maggie Smith and luckily the acting legend will be reprising her role as Lady Violet with her wicked one-liners and long-suffering looks.
See who is returning to the Downton Abbey cast for the movie and which famous faces are joining them for their big screen debut, below.
Who is returning to the Downton Abbey cast for the movie?
As well as Dame Maggie taking another turn as Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downtown Abbey fans cast also expect to see the rest of the Crawley family back on our screens, including Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary, Elizabeth McGovern as her mother Cora, Hugh Bonneville as the Earl of Grantham and Laura Carmichael as Lady Edith.
There are plenty of familiar faces downstairs as well, with Lesley Nicol returning as Mrs Patmore and Sophie McShera back by her side as feisty kitchen hand Daisy.
Heres the full list of the cast returning for the Downton Abbey movie:
- Maggie Smith – Violet Crawley
- Hugh Bonneville – Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham
- Michelle Dockery – Lady Mary Crawley
- Elizabeth McGovern – Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham
- Laura Carmichael – Lady Edith Crawley
- Allen Leech – Tom Branson
- Douglas Reith – Lord Merton
- Matthew Goode – Henry Talbot
- Penelope Wilton – Isobel Grey, Baroness Merton
- Harry Hadden-Paton – Bertie Pelham
- Joanne Froggatt – Anna Bates
- Sophie McShera – Daisy Mason
- Robert James-Collier – Thomas Barrow
- Phyllis Logan – Mrs. Hughes
- Brendan Coyle – John Bates
- Jim Carter – Charles Carson
- Lesley Nicol – Mrs. Patmore
- Kevin Doyle – Joseph Molesley
- Raquel Cassidy – Phyllis Baxter
- Michael Fox – Andrew Andy Parker
- Alice McCarthy – Nanny Harewood
Unfortunately Lily James, who played Lady Rose from 2012-2015 in the show, wont be returning for the film.
The actress told People: My character Rose moved off to New York, so it would be far-fetched to bring her back.
I would have loved to have come back for a scene, but for a movie it cant be like a Christmas special and it needs to be a focused storyline… There was no space for Rose.
Who are the new characters in the Downton Abbey movie?
Imelda Staunton joins the cast of Downton Abbey for the move as Lady Bagshaw, the cousin of Lady Violet (Dame Maggie Smith) along with Kate Phillips and Simon Jones who play the monarch and Queen who visit the Crawleys in the movie.